Regulations on importing or re-exporting hazardous materials for oil and gas industry uses

To ensure that explosive, chemical or radioactive materials used in the exploration process are fully controlled, the ministry has strict regulations on their import and re-export.

For information about regulations and licensing procedures for importing or re-exporting explosive, chemical or radioactive materials for use in the oil and gas sector, please contact us via our contact page.

Land compensation regulations

Oil companies in the Kurdistan Region can operate on villagers’ land only with the permission of the ministry, and only for agreed durations.

The KRG ensures that local communities are compensated when exploration and production activities take place on their land. In May 2013, the ministry issued a decree that companies must pay annual rents to owners whose land is located on oil well drilling blocks.

The ministry, together with the mayor and local authorities, determine the level of compensation based on several criteria, including land area and how the land was used or cultivated by the owner. Companies are also required to pay annual rents to villagers who lose the use of public pastures and rocky lands located on drilling blocks. Landowners and local communities can apply for land-use compensation by completing standard application forms available from the ministry. 

Services company registration

Oil and gas services providers wishing to work in the Kurdistan Region are first required to register with the ministry, see our guide to services company registration


As per KRG's agreement with the Iraqi government and under the 2015 Budget Law


Follow Us On Twitter - Image