The Secretary shall be responsible for the official records of the Council. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to record and preserve the minutes of Council meetings, making them available to the membership in a timely manner following each meeting, and perform such other duties as ordinarily pertain to this office. Upon retirement from office, the Secretary shall turn over all original Council records and property to the archives. Copies of Council records and property necessary for the timely continuation of Council business shall be turned over to the successor.
The Secretary’s primary responsibility at Council meetings is to record the minutes of the meeting. The minutes should reflect the structure and content of the meeting and should record motions put forward and their outcomes. The minutes are not, however, meant to serve as a verbatim transcription of the meetings, but rather a summary of business conducted, discussions held, and decisions made.
- Types documents from clear copy or rough draft on a computer terminal or typewriter;
- Proofreads and edits documents;
- Sorts, indexes, and files materials numerically, alphabetically, or by some other predetermined classification according to established procedures;
- Answers varied inquiries, over the phone or in person, explaining policies and procedures and resolving routine questions or problems independently;
- Performs routine office management details without referral to or direction from a supervisor;
- Acts as an intermediary of one or more supervisors by transmitting instructions from supervisor, and is dictated responsibility for handling specific routine administrative details;
- Checks records and documents for completeness, clerical and mathematical accuracy, and processes for further action;
- Retrieves/tracks files or information from manual or automated files;
- Schedules meetings for Council person and/or other Council staff by personally contacting participants by phone;
- Types and records information on a variety of activities in a Council district office and answers follow-up inquiries concerning such records
- Composes and types correspondence on routine matters requiring knowledge of Council district issues;
- Creates and maintains complex filing systems primarily involving a variety of subject matter;
- Acts as a receptionist, greeting visitors, answering and responding to general inquiries, or directing visitors to the appropriate personnel;
- Operates common office equipment incidental to clerical assignmentsDemonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proper English/Arabic/Kurdish, spelling, and grammar.
- Office practices, procedures, and equipment operations.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions given in the English/Arabic/Kurdish language.
- Comprehend and make inferences from material written in the English/Arabic/Kurdish language.
- Work cooperatively with the public and other MHE employees.
- Remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time.
- Operate a typewriter, remote computer terminal, Local Area Network, or other keyboard device.
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Operate a duplicating machine requiring continuous or repetitive hand/arm movements to provide needed copies.
- Exercise judgment and act independently in establishing or adapting work procedures to new situations.
- Sort, separate, arrange, file, or distribute incoming mail products or material in some prescribed manner
- Handle routine administrative details.
- Perform a broad range of supervisory responsibility over others.
- Communicate in the English/Arabic/Kurdish language with individuals in a face-to-face one-on-one setting or by telephone.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Three years of progressively responsible secretarial experience, including training in typing and the use of modern office and document processing equipment. Other combinations of experience and education which meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
Please apply for this position by sending your CV and completed application form below to specified email address on the form quoting reference number above.